Oh how I dread the well child check-ups!! Not so much for Lila(well not yet anyways)since she's too young to understand what's going on, but Max is another story. He's due for his Kindergarten shots. I guess they're able to get them anytime between 4-6. I know I still have time and could put it off but I just want to get it done and over with. I also found out that he will need 4 separate shots, YIKES! I feel bad because he's always been terrified of the doctor's office. However he did have an appointment back in February that went really well(we had a talk before hand). When we got called back he jumped right up on that table and let the doc do what she needed to do. And of course as soon as she finished he asked about a sucker. So she walked with him to get a sucker and I hear him say "thanks!" However that "thanks" was quickly followed by "ah...whewe's (where's) my stickew(sticker)?" Yes, the wave of embarrassement hit me fast as I dropped my head and let out a sigh. But then I heard the doctor say "and what do we say Max?" (good for her) to which he replied "ah, pwease(please) can I have a stickew?"
So here we are yet again approaching another appointment. Josh and I do not believe in lying or trying to trick the kids into thinking that they won't get a shot. We've always said that if we know they are going to and they ask we will be honest so I was not about to lie to Max. When I broke the news to him last night about an upcoming appointment he instantly broke down, tears and all(poor kid). I explained how it would be okay and only hurt for a second and gave the talk about how every little boy and girl has to go to the doctor and have their shots before they can go to Kindergarten(which is something he can't wait to do). I also told him that afterwards I would treat him to a strawberry smoothie at the coffee shop, a favorite of his. He replied through his tears, sniffles and stuttering "o..kay.....and can we go to mc...don....alds....too?" Well how could I say no to that, so okay we'll go to Mcdonalds too.
When I arrived at work today I mentioned to my new supervisor how I would be needing a half day sometime either this week or next because both my children have a doctor's appointment. I explained how I don't typically like to take a half day but I learned the hard way that when shots are involved it makes for a very exhausting visit and I'll probably need time to recover from the appointment. She laughs and tells me she understands, phew! So stay tuned, I'm sure we'll have an interesting post coming up. And if any parent out there has a good way of preparing their toddlers for these visits I'd love to know your secret.
What a bargainer. I am going to have Max come along the next time a buy a car! McDonalds and smoothie! What a dude! We will be thinking of you at the docs office.
ReplyDeleteMaybe bring a stuffed animal along so they can pretend to give one to "it" first?
ReplyDeleteGood luck... :)