Good, bad, stressful or even a combination of all three. And it all started with a new opportunity.
As some may know I returned to school a year ago to pursue my RN degree. I planned it out so that I wouldn't start the program before Max was in school because once I start the program I will no longer be able to work full-time. I thought it would be easier on our wallets if at that time we are only paying daycare for one child instead of two.
Back in October I completed my C.N.A. course and decided to take the test to become certified. No, I did not have to take the state exam in order to be on the list for the RN program but I wanted too(to be honest I was just curious to see what the test was like and if I would pass the first time). Well I passed and soon after I passed I thought I'd apply for some C.N.A. positions at the hospital. It was at this time that I also mentioned my intentions to my current supervisor and I was told "well you always have the option to go part-time here....." PERFECT!
I began applying and was quickly informed how competitive it is at the hospitals so getting an interview would not be easy. At the advice of my mother-in-law I applied for ALL the C.N.A. positions, even those I wasn't really interested in. November came and went and no calls. The same was true for December and January. The first week in February I applied one last time. I told myself this is it I'm done and I'm going to wait until fall to try again. Skip ahead to the last week in February. The phone rings late Friday afternoon, I answer and hear;
"Hi, this is Shannon from St. Lukes and we'd like to interview you for a C.N.A. position in our Cardiac Unit."
WHAT?! I'll admit the phone call completely threw me off, it took a minute or so for things to register. But I was THRILLED! I interviewed with the nurse managers on the Cardiac Unit and felt that it went well. That Thursday I DEFINITELY knew it went well because they called and offered me the position.
WOW! This is HUGE! Having your foot in the door at a hospital is a GOOD thing. I couldn't imagine turning it down. I quickly called my supervisor letting her know about the position I was offered. I told her that I would like to stay on 30 hours a week and she said "well, you might have to drop to 20 hours...." YIKES! Financially that would be tough but Josh and I were determined to make it work. She told me she'd have an answer for me the next day. Friday came but no answer. I finally got my answer on Monday when she informed me "yeah, we're just not willing to negotiate, it's full-time or nothing!"
My heart dropped. I couldn't believe she was doing this. Three years working for them and this was the answer she is now giving me. I wanted to cry and scream at the same time but instead I said "okay." I'm sure the look on my face said a whole lot more. And this is where my stress began.
I quickly called Josh, no answer. So I called my mom. I held myself together but I was SO upset and I just couldn't imagine letting the hospital position go. I knew if I did my chances of getting any future interview would be slim. My mom suggested that I go back to retail working nights and weekends that way I could stay home with the kids and avoid a HUGE daycare bill every month. How did I not think of this?! The next four days Josh and I went back and forth between crunching numbers, figuring out financially if we can really do this, talking to our parents and seeking their advice, praying, weighing the pros and cons, etc, etc. It's been a draining week to say the least.
But last night we decided. We decided that the hospital position is a GREAT opportunity, one that can't be passed up. We're going to make it work, somehow, someway, it will work out. PLEASE let it work out!
Nothing about this process has been easy including having to tell Nora the kids won't be there anymore after this month. My C.N.A. position is only a .3/48 hours a month and when I get a retail position(I have two that sound promising)I will only work nights and weekends. The kids will now only be in daycare two days a month. My schedule didn't work for the kids to stay at Nora's so they will now be going to our friend Sarah(who also does daycare)and she conveniently lives four houses down from us.
A change in our daily routine, absolutely, but I'm really looking forward to being home with the kids. I was home with Max until we moved to Duluth and I LOVED it! I'm looking at this opportunity as "it was meant to be" and hopefully things will work out.
No comments:
Post a Comment