We set off on Wednesday morning, after an hour struggle with the trailer and four bikes. Note to self,
invest in a bike rack. We pulled out of the driveway, swung by Mcdonalds, and by the time we hit Midway Rd (so, roughly 10 minutes) Lila was already asking "are we there yet?" That 2.5 hour drive was beginning to feel more like a 4 hour drive. Seriously kids, I didn't turn on the DVD players for nothin. I know, parenting at its best, but sometimes it's just down right necessary. Before I became a parent I use to judge people who let their kids watch movies in the car, or leash their kids at the mall. Yep, that was me, shaking my head and thinking "really, is that REALLY necessary?" Ah yes, YES. IT. IS! Judge all you want, but there are times where us parents desperately NEED moments of silence, and that morning it was NEEDED! Hackensack just couldn't arrive soon enough. But when we did, all was perfect, and the kids were in their glory.
Smiles all the way.
Chit Chats on the boat.
We were there less then 30 minutes and already on our way to the malt shop, where we loaded up on old fashion candy.
We kicked back our first afternoon there. Took in the sun and our peaceful surroundings and let the kids do their thing, run like crazy and capture critters.
We found worms spinning webs by the river. (YUCK!) They remind me of the dreaded "army worms," come to think of it they probably are.
We found worms spinning webs by the river. (YUCK!) They remind me of the dreaded "army worms," come to think of it they probably are.
It didn't take long before they found a bowl full of shells, covered in God only knows what kind of bacteria.
And naturally they argued over who had the "tiniest" one,
Max won.
By day two we hit the lake and began reeling em in. That morning my dad took all the ladies out which included; Grandma Jean, Great Granny, Lila, and myself. My dad joked that perhaps Josh should come to help back the boat in, as if we can't handle backing a boat in. Turns out we can't. Damn boat! I backed that puppy right in, crooked. Needless to say that Grandpa Don struggled to push it off. But have no fear, the kind Iowa folks (who were patiently waiting at the dock) offered to help. I made it clear that I was "first timer." In the end it's probably a good thing he got out to help, otherwise we'd probably still be sitting there. It's not as easy as it may look folks. I told my dad I will need a full day of practice, like at night, in the dark, when no one else can see me.
Once we FINALLY made it out, Lila was soon stating that she was "bored," but we made her tough it out and soon she too was catchin the "big ones." With every fish she reeled in we heard "oh boy, it's a BIG one!"
The remainder of the day was spent eating, a lot, and counting down the hours until the fireworks.
Corn ready for grillin.
The grill master, he pretty much takes charge.
The men devoured these slimy things.
Max won.
By day two we hit the lake and began reeling em in. That morning my dad took all the ladies out which included; Grandma Jean, Great Granny, Lila, and myself. My dad joked that perhaps Josh should come to help back the boat in, as if we can't handle backing a boat in. Turns out we can't. Damn boat! I backed that puppy right in, crooked. Needless to say that Grandpa Don struggled to push it off. But have no fear, the kind Iowa folks (who were patiently waiting at the dock) offered to help. I made it clear that I was "first timer." In the end it's probably a good thing he got out to help, otherwise we'd probably still be sitting there. It's not as easy as it may look folks. I told my dad I will need a full day of practice, like at night, in the dark, when no one else can see me.
Once we FINALLY made it out, Lila was soon stating that she was "bored," but we made her tough it out and soon she too was catchin the "big ones." With every fish she reeled in we heard "oh boy, it's a BIG one!"
The remainder of the day was spent eating, a lot, and counting down the hours until the fireworks.
Corn ready for grillin.
The grill master, he pretty much takes charge.
The men devoured these slimy things.
Firework shows just aren't what they use to be. They were such a big deal when I was a kid and they lasted forever. I remember being SO excited as we drove to the park, threw down the blanket, and watched the sky light up. And now, now it's like a whopping ten minutes and they're over. What the heck?! But the kids, they love it. Perhaps to them it seems as though they go on forever.
Full of excitement, they plopped down on the sidewalk with their treat of choice from the malt shop, and "Oooooo......"d and Ahhhh.......'d" over each one.
By day three we were ready, ready to go antique-in. The guys needed their "guy time" on the lake and us girls were eager for some shoppin. I absolutely love all of the small town antique stores we hit up during our cabin trips. Sadly I did not find any take home treasures, but others did so there was some success.
One of my favorite shops.
The remainder of our time was spent relaxing. Much of that relaxing was also spent outside, getting eaten alive by mosquitoes, but I guess that's just part of livin in the good old state of Minnesota.
We doused ourselves with bug spray and made the best of it.
Lazy bullies.
We made time for bike rides and s'mores,
You can't tell, but the boy was FILTHY.
more critter catchin,
Backyard river.
and colorful sunsets.
Getting away allows us time to de-stress, and forget about the day to day things that at times overwhelm us.
Sunset on the lake.
Because when we're there it's all about letting go, and having fun.
Phone dump of cabin fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment