two kids & a coffee cup.

two kids & a coffee cup.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

dreamin.

It's March, so naturally I'm dreaming of warm sun filled days, sandals, and sundresses.

But that's just a dream because the reality is winter will be here for bit longer. A few of us got a little carried away with our summer dreams via Instagram, and now I can't stop. I love Minnesota, I really do, but gosh dang it wouldn't it be nice to actually have four seasons?

Spring will most likely arrive sometime in May because that white stuff, well, it's not going away any time soon.

Just another walk home from school. That's no drift, it's the front yard.

These two, well they're dreamin too. Lila has said good riddance to sweatshirts and pants and has moved onto dresses. She's tossed the boots to the side and now tip toes through the snow wearing slip on flats. I shake my head but at the same time I'm right there with her. You go girl, more power to ya.

My drapes and curtains were not surviving these two. I was forced to move the couch, which means that sun bathing in the window is no longer an option.

And Milo, well he needs to run off some energy and bask in the sun, like in the yard, not in my bay window. He gets cozy where ever the sun warms the floor.



I'm thankful for the sun this week. The simpleness of sunlight makes our winter days a little bit more bearable. Now if only that snow would melt away. It's been another rough winter here in the Northland. The last three months have been brutal. Max had less than twenty days of school in the month of January because of the snow. Storm after storm, there was just no letting up. Our last one hit us about two weeks ago. I remember it clearly because I had to work. We have a strict attendance policy so I planned ahead, something I've learned to do since we have no 4-wheel drive. I had a co-worker all lined up to pick me up, all was good. At 5:45 the next morning I received a text from her informing me she wouldn't make it to me, her truck was blocked in and there was no getting out. So out the door I went to assess the damage and IT.WAS.BAD. I knew it was bad when I opened the door to let the dog out and he looks up at me with that whole hell no, I'm not goin out there. I dragged him out anyways and made my way to the driveway where the snow was well beyond my knees. CRAP!

I called work, feeling confident security would come pick me up. NOPE. I called for a cab, no luck. I called the DTA, not running. Then I cried. Here I am in the middle of orientation, there's no way I can call in, it just wasn't an option. I called staffing again, hoping that perhaps someone could get to me.

"No, I'm sorry, we don't give rides anymore, for liability reasons."

"Well I'm never going to make it there by 7:00, and I don't want an occurrence!"

"Well just as long as you make it."

Pause

"You'll make it in..........right?"

Oh yeah, I'll make it in, with flipping bells on!

This is where it became an actual nightmare.

At 7:00 the DTA was up and running. I have never taken the city bus in my life, but it was either that or walk, and I don't live within walking distance. Josh calls and they say "oh yeah, just wait on the corner of your street and Woodland and they'll be by about 8:15."

I walk the block and a half up the hill and wait. It was awful, the wind was horrible, and after 20 minutes I could no longer feel the back of my legs. I panicked, and thought oh my God this is it, this is what frostbite feels like. I was FREEZING, MISERABLE, and down right TICKED OFF! So naturally the tears came. For those who know me well, you know I'm not one to cry, it takes a lot to push me over the edge. That morning pushed me, it pushed me far. There I was folks, ugly cryin on the corner of Woodland Ave, in 40 below temps, and walking my sorry ass 5 blocks to the nearest gas station just to warm up. I was pretty pathetic.

Now thank God I came to my senses and made that walk because had I not I would have missed the bus entirely as their route had recently changed. As I see the bus round the corner I fly out of the gas station and run to the corner. Now remember, I've never been on the bus so as the doors swing open all I can manage to get out of my mouth is St. Luke's.

"I can get you within three blocks but that's the closest." Fine.

I pull out the only cash I had, a five dollar bill, and the lady next to me says "they won't take a $5."

WHAT?! Hold it together. HOLD.IT.TOGETHER!

I precede to dig further in my purse and I find a dollar and forty five cents. It cost $1.50. I felt the eyes of the woman next to me, watching me the entire time, looking me up and down. More then likely thinking, what the hell is wrong with this girl?! Then she handed me fifty cents, and I almost cried again.

Halfway through the ride came the extreme motion sickness. When my stop finally came I literally shoved this poor woman near the door clear out of my way. I needed air, and I needed it NOW. By the time I made it to the floor I was two hours late. I came around the corner, looking like pure hell, and the two nurses who were there just looked at me, with a smirk.

"Don't look at me. Don't say anything. Just know that I hate this day!"

So yeah, I'm dreamin. Because I'm done with winter, and public transportation.

As we continue to wait out this winter season we're keeping ourselves busy with the extracurricular activities, 

Dance.

Derby Race.

and a few birthday parties. And today Max is 8. Gosh, I wish life would slow down a bit.

We spent the morning doing what most kids do on their birthday, dissecting sheep eyes. Max begged me about a month ago to help out with this. "Mom, it's gonna be so cool! Other parents will be there too, you know, the ones who are doctors and nurses." Hmm..............I guess becoming a nurse put me into a whole new category. Volunteer parent on dissection days. Yuck! But gosh, I just couldn't resist. He beamed with excitement.

And now, well now we're on our way to Sammy's Pizza followed by dessert at Chilly Billy's because that's how we roll when someone turns 8. It's a pretty big deal around here.

It's all cheers, high fives, gift opening, and birthday phone calls........................................................


until the day is over. And I suppose tomorrow we'll summer dream again.




1 comment: