two kids & a coffee cup.

two kids & a coffee cup.

Monday, December 20, 2010

MId-Week Interruption!

Sorry for the lack of news on our end over the past week. Blame the stomach flu! Last Wednesday an email went out to the daycare families informing them that the nasty bug had hit 3 of the kids within 24 hours, GREAT! Right away we're on alert. And sure enough that night around 6pm Max started to complain of a stomach ache followed by 1am vomiting. There's nothing more fun then waking up to this. I seriously dread this time of year because of the nasty bug. Fortunately he only got sick once and handled it like a champ. No tears, no moments of panic, nothing. Well nothing other then the on-going conversations he felt the need to discuss. There were many! One started out with the muscles and bones of the body which transitioned nicely into dinosaurs(more specifically the Brachiosaurus), and then what sounds dinosaurs make. These conversations went on for over an hour! I don't know about you but when I get done puking the last thing I want to do is carry on a conversation. Not because I can't but because it makes me even more nauseated. But not when you're 4!

I soon plopped down on the floor next to him(keeping a little distance for obvious reasons)and began reading some books. I was quickly interrupted by the sick child who said "Mom, I wiwwy(really) wish you'd let me go downstaiws and puke in a bucket, that way I could watch a movie." Hmm....ah apparently the boy doesn't quite grasp just how gross and disgusting this virus actually is. And let's not forget it's now 1:30am, I'm sleep deprived, and just finished cleaning a blanket all while trying not to gag myself. Movies, they can wait til morning.

Overall it was a pretty mild bug, he was fine and totally back to normal within 12 hours. By 8am I heard
" Mom, I'm wiwwy starving and would wike some pizza or macaroni please." I explained why he couldn't eat that stuff quite yet because he had to let his stomach settle for today. That was followed by "Okay, weww(well)can we just order some sandwhiches?" Poor kid, I'm pretty sure this was the toughest part for him. And for the record I would give anything to bounce back that quickly after having that bug. Yeah the worst part of it is usually over within a day but I swear it takes my body a good THREE days to fully recover! Oh well, I guess it's one way of dropping a few pounds.

Fortunately the rest of us were spared. Don't ask how, it's NEVER happened before. But I will say we did a lot of handwashing and I was disenfecting constantly for two days. Borderline OCD. In fact I'm pretty sure I scrubbed and/or burned away the top layer of skin on both hands.

The bummer to all of this was that we chose to cancel a family Christmas Party for the weekend just to be on the safe side. But in the end my sister and her boyfriend came up on Saturday and stayed the night(they miss us so much even the stomach flu couldn't keep them away. I did tell them if you get bit, it's your own fault).
I made Coq Au Vin for dinner and paired it with a salad and some rolls topped off with a glass of wine(the children had milk)Max was quick to ask for his own glass of wine but we stayed strong and said "NO!"
This yummy box of goodness is a perk to having Mike around. His parents own a bakery and they never come up empty handed.

Later that night we went to Bentlyville Tour of Lights which has become a Christmas tradition.

After arriving home we put the kiddos to bed, sipped on some tea, and wrapped the gifts from Santa Clause.

The next day we made a trip to the mall for a visit with Santa. It did not go well for the one year old. I was not able to undo the death grip she had around my neck and we very quickly had to walk away from the jolly old man. Max however was full on things to say. And was quick to inform Santa that he "frode up." Sigh.....

I'm pretty sure he was the only kid that Santa wanted off his lap. There's never a dull moment with Mr. Max!

No comments:

Post a Comment