two kids & a coffee cup.

two kids & a coffee cup.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

3 days off.

Oh how I've enjoyed these past 3 days off from work. After a 4 day stretch it was much needed!

So what have we been up to these past 3 days??

Not a whole heck of a lot! But that's okay, I like it that way sometimes.

I've been up early these past three mornings, not by choice, but because Miss Lila is my early bird and arises somewhere between 6 and 6:30 everyday. She's had a cold over the past week and so she hadn't been sleeping well which meant we hadn't been sleeping well. Every night she was up between 10 and 11pm and then again around 3am. Ugh, not fun! Three nights ago she woke up and I could barely open my eyes but did so enough to see the clock. 5:15(sigh). I don't care, I'm bringing her in here to lay by us, we'll be up soon anyways and I'm SO dead tired, I just want to sleep. So I walk in, grab her, climb back into bed, notice the bright green clock numbers staring back at me(now that my eyesight has adjusted)and see 3:19am. DAMN! Sorry but that's how I felt after 4 straight days of working until 10:30pm. Had my vision not been so comprised initially I would of made her cry that one out since we're not big fans of having the kids sleep in our bed. Don't get me wrong, early morning snuggles are one thing but not at 3:19am!

Seeing as how we we've been up early everyday I decided that I might as well make the best of it and get myself ready. I'm really enjoying wearing "real" clothes seeing as how the majority of my time I'm in scrubs, blue scrubs. NO variety. All I can do is change up the long sleeve t-shirts I wear underneath. Yup, that's about as exciting as it gets.

I've also made it a point to get out of the house and do something since we're up at the crack of dawn. So I called Sarah. I let her know we were on our way and we'd be there in 2 minutes. Yes that's right, she lives right up the street. I didn't say we'd go far. I did however notice her neighbors setting up for a garage sale and we were invited over for a sneak peek, and boy was it fun! I found a good number of clothing items for the kids, 4 pairs of shoes for Lila, knee highs for Lila, 2 cute bags for me, and of course a toy vacuum cleaner for a whopping 50 cents(that they've argued over for the past 2 days). This mom did a great job of keeping her kids clothes looking brand new and the fun thing is that they were all Gap clothes. She told me how she bought all this stuff and her kids would never wear it. Bummer. But thanks  for spending all that money at the Gap and selling it to me for 50 cents an item.

Yesterday we again woke up with the sun and headed downstairs to watch Mega Mind. Lila loves Meeeeeeeega Mind! So much so that she is now quoting lines while the movie plays. However, kind of creepy that the first line she quoted was "falling to my death." Really?! Of all the lines in the entire movie that's the one?! After my two cups of coffee and getting ready for the day we headed out to run a few errands at 8am. Geez! Back by 9:30 followed up by a visit from Sarah and the kids. I get a kick out of how we walk to each other's house with pajama's on and a coffee cup in our hand, you can tell we're moms and at 9:30 in the morning we just don't care what we look like or who might see us. I've been known to do this many times.  After visiting for a while we parted ways for lunch and after lunch we switched it up and we went over there. I know, we're an exciting bunch!

Morning snuggles with Bob


Afternoon play




Bubbles for Bob

In between all of our daily fun I've also spent time working on things for Lila's room. I'm so excited to get her room set up with the new furniture pieces and put all my decorating ideas together.

I was also able to catch up with my friend Katie. I've known Katie since our Freshman year at UMD. We lived across the hall from each other and instantly became friends. We even went to Germany together a few months after meeting. She was the Maid of Honor in our wedding and three years later I was thrilled to be in her wedding. Our birthday's are even a day apart from each other. We haven't lived close to each other in 8 years(she now lives in Alaska)but we've always kept in touch, spending countless hours on the phone each month. And yesterday was a day of some much needed catch up. Boy have our conversations changed. There was a time when all we did was talk about what we should do on the weekend, boyfriends, shopping, class(are we going or not?), etc. Now it's all about kids, marriage, finances, school, work, etc. But our friendship still remains strong, which I love.

This morning was a bit rough getting out of bed. I was up late(by choice)the night before and I paid for it. I crawled out of bed at 8, I guess Josh had left for work sometime around 7 but I missed that. Good thing the kids informed me. Once I was able to drag my butt out of bed and get ready we headed out for a morning at Pinehurst Park in Cloquet

Poolside lunch




Soak-in up the sun

The remainder of our day was spent running errands and stocking up on all those fun household items. But thanks to my friend Sarah I whipped up a batch of home-made laundry detergent which I am SUPER excited about. Yes that's right, I'm EXCITED about laundry detergent. And saving money of course.

Quick and easy


What you need:

  • Fels-Naptha Soap
  • Arm & Hammer all natural super washing soda
  • Borax
These 3 ingredients can all be found at Walmart(Target does not carry all of them)for $7.19(before tax).
Sarah told me that one batch lasts her roughly 3 months(she has a family of 4). On average I spend around $10/month on detergent so I was all about this. The ingredients last her a year. The one you may want to buy two of to get you through the year would be the Fels-Naptha soap which was 97 cents.

Quick and Easy Steps:

  • 1/3 of the Fels-Naptha bar finely shredded. Use a cheese grater.
  • 1/2 cup of washing soda
  • 1/2 cup of Borax
  • 2 gallon bucket
Heat 6 cups of water and Fels-Naptha soap on stove until soap melts(I heated it on medium).
Add washing soda and Borax and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
Pour 4 cups of hot water in bucket.
Add soap mixture and stir.
Add 1 gallon(4quarts)of water, plus an additional 6 cups of water and stir.
Let sit for 24 hours(will gel). I also covered the bucket.
Stir and use 1/2 cup per load.

And now my 3 days are up and I'm off to work while Josh and the kids have fun at the cabin.


No comments:

Post a Comment